Storm Preparation Tips for Homeowners
Forewarned is forearmed, as the saying goes, and residents of Deerfield Beach, FL, who monitor the weather are taking the first step toward protecting their homes from the ravages of floodwater and other storm and water damage. With free weather apps available, it is easier than ever to stay updated on what Mother Nature is cooking up.
Even before it becomes known that a storm is on the way, there are many proactive measures that homeowners can take to prevent or minimize damage. Investing a bit of time and effort when the weather is calm is likely to deliver benefits when things get dicey.
• Monitor the condition of storm drains to ensure they are not blocked.
• Regularly inspect gutters and downspouts for any debris that impedes drainage.
• Regularly maintain and test sump pumps and submersible pumps to keep them in working order in the event that floodwater invades the home.
• Keep tree branches near roofs and windows trimmed.
• Consider elevating appliances commonly found in basements such as washers, dryers, water heaters, and dehumidifiers.
In the days or perhaps hours before a weather event is predicted, further steps can be taken to prepare for a possible inundation and a flooded building. Monitor the forecast and ramp up efforts to protect the home front.
• Fill the car with gas and assemble medications, food, drinking water, pet supplies, important papers and phones, and their chargers in case evacuation is required.
• Develop a communication plan with family members.
• Stay tuned to weather reports for further information and instructions.
• Secure outdoor furniture and other belongings that could be displaced by wind or water.
• Stay indoors during the duration of the storm and do not wade or drive through standing water.
Floodwater can be dangerous as well as inconvenient. Keep the focus on preparation and safety. When the time comes for remediation, professionals will be there to help.